Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Burning Wood

I love burning wood
There is something about it that tingles my being
The crackling humming sound by fire
Flames consuming a huge dry bulk
Crack, crack, crack every now and again

My dad liked fire
During the day when he cooked inkobe(mealies)
A meal he believed was easy and feeling
He would hum his tuneless song
Collecting firewood and cracking dry twigs

In the evenings alone in his hut
With fire and a lone candle for company
Dad would hum his tuneless song

He never looked like he needed company
The flames and his song were enough
The flames and the crackling wood spoke to him, with him

It spoke of distance shores
Of dreams unfullfilled
Of life's limitations

Everytime I see dry wood
I want to burn it
And continue that conversation to the end
To get to those distant shores
Achieve those dreams
And exceed expectations

No comments:

Post a Comment